Cascina Gnocco was founded in 1923, by Carlo Cuneo, great-grandfather of current owner Domenico Cuneo. He purchased some vineyards and an ancient farmhouse in the Gnocco località, near Mornico Losana. Our winery took its name from that location.
The difficulties of the interwar period, however, impeded effective growth of the winery, so much so that the first bottles were released for sale only in the 1950s. In the meantime, direction of the winery passed to Mario, Carlo’s grandson; with the assistance of his father-in-law Amato Perotti, he significantly increased sales, particularly in northern Italy.
Towards the end of the 1980s, when Domenico Cuneo took over direction of the winery, market growth made it possible to expand sales beyond Italy’s boundaries, into Europe and trans-Atlantic countries.
Now, in the new millennium, Cascina Gnocco is in a new stage of growth. Domenico Cuneo, with his son Fabio by his side, reorganised production, following the recovery of the native Mornasca grape variety, locally known as Uva di Mornico, from its village of origin. The enthusiasm generated by such a recovery led to abandoning the production of international-style wines in order to focus efforts exclusively on vinifying grapes native to the Oltrepò Pavese. And this in turn gave birth to the Progetto Autoctoni, the Native Grapes Project.